in october of 2011 i sat down with a pen, a piece of paper, and the beginnings of a dream.
i made a list.
a list of all the little and the not so little things i always wanted to do and determined i would knock them off – one by one – before my thirtieth birthday. i challenged myself to properly do up the final years of my twenties. to make some noise. to live a little louder.
and then i did.
for the remainder of my roaring twenties i did the damn thing. i demolished nearly everything i set out to do plus a crap ton of other fun stuff that came up throughout the years.
i found myself with my size sevens off the ground in hot air balloons, hanging from trapeze bars, and on the aerial yoga silks. i rode motorcycles, rollercoasters, and a mechanical bull in vegas.
i stripped down.
i wo-maned up.
i had the time of my life.
so here i am… a few years and a couple of kids later… firmly planted in my mid-thirties…. ready to rock again.
my list looks a little different the second time around. i will be tackling some of it with my kiddos, some of it with my mister, and some of it – like last time – i have to conquer on my own. and just like the first time i am bringing everyone who cares to join me along for the ride.
you guys ready to do this again?
here we go… forty before forty…
- play paintball
- learn one song on the acoustic guitar
- see niagara falls
- attend a mets home opener
- family dna tests
- complete a 52 hike challenge
- photograph storm king
- complete the 1,000 books challenge for the kids
- dine in the dark
- bake a perfect cheesecake
- get an awesome unicorn tattoo
- run my second marathon
- have an epic food fight
- backyard ice skating
- chow down at chowder or oyster fest
- watch the race of gentleman
- rock a music festival as a family
- spend the night at the hotel bethlem at christmas time
- tour the crayola factory
- ride in a helicopter
- check out the sandy hook army base
- see the sakura matsuri in brooklyn
- take in a show at the red rock amphitheatre
- crochet a temperature blanket
- witness sunrise over the grand canyon with my husband
- eat live fish at sik gaek
- blow glass
- watch a burlesque show
- enjoy a gazillion bubbles
- complete our springsteen vinyl collection
- visit all the new jersey lighthouses
- bet on horses at the racetrack
- visit wild west city
- make lentil kofte
- sew halloween costumes for the kids
- drive our own boat on longwood lake
- fish for tuna
- campout in the backyard
- walk grounds for sculpture